Saturday 3 December 2011

Cage diving with Great White sharks in South Africa

I went to South Africa on a field course trip through the University of Plymouth (second year). It was absolutely fantastic since we went out a week beforehand to do the usual touristy things. The highlight of the holiday was a cage diving trip with great white sharks (Carcharodon carcharias) in Gansbaai. It truly was one of the best experiences of my life.

We were picked up at about 5.30am from our apartment just outside of Cape Town... Then we made a little stop off point (I can't remember where it was, I'm really bad at remembering that) to see a Southern Right Whale and her calf in the water. My camera is pretty poor for zoomed shots, but you can just see the calf below...


... Then a pretty standard shot of the beautiful coastline...


... Luckily I caught a photo of the calf breaching the water. It was beautiful to see (in person), unfortunately the camera doesn't do it justice.


This is just before we got onto the boat at Gansbaai...


... and this is our boat...


... this is the cage ...

... this is... a shark!


... Looking very cold!!!


Tuna head as bait, cage and shark


Shark...


... One of the best photos I took that day, it was fantastic...


... and the other cracking shot. Unfortunately my camera [as mentioned] isn't the best but I thought it was good timing at least!!








And there we have it!

Rachel x

No comments:

Post a Comment