Tuesday 13 December 2011

Dissertation titles are out...

Dissertation titles are out and I am doing "global status of fisheries for skates and rays". I'm quite happy with this, it was one of my first options. I'd also have loved to do one on the bioengineering (using the oceans) for climate change as I've done a tiny bit of that before but this would be interesting to do. Plus, I'd quite like to get into fisheries as a career path after university.

I have Dr Bryce Beukers-Stewart as my dissertation supervisor. He was the Fisheries Policy Officer for the Marine Conservation Society which is exciting news!

Anyway, based on the e-mail that was sent around regarding dissertation topics, this is essentially what I am doing:

"Several species of skates and rays have received widespread attention from the conservation community recently due to their threatened status. However, skates and rays are a very diverse group of species with a wide range of life history characteristics. How important are fisheries for skates and rays? Are all species equally threatened and if not why are some species more vulnerable than others? Is it possible to develop sustainable fisheries for skates and rays? This project will aim to address such questions through analysis of both global (FAO) and national databases (e.g. ICES, NOAA etc) of fisheries statistics. The results are likely to be of great interest to both the conservation community and fisheries managers."

It is going to be a lot of work, but I reckon the rewards will be great!


No comments:

Post a Comment